Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Red cross Burlap pillow

I always wanted to make these lovely pillows. I have seen them in different magazines but the only difference is that, the Red cross is either embroidered or stitched right on the pillow. I am just not good at embroidery or stitching things onto something. For me, it makes more sense if I can replicate the same look by using fabric paint. Acrylic paint works just fine and does not wash off.


In this project I have used apple barrel Bright Red 20501 and folk art Burnt umber 462.


Both are acrylic paint and I mix them in the ratio 1: 1. I start drawing the cross at the centre by taking measurements on the pillow cover, which I have already stitched.


Once the drawing is perfect where you want it to be then put a piece of thick cardboard or plastic sheet inside the pillow cover so that the colour does not bleed over the other side of the fabric. Use a paint brush with which you are comfortable and start filling the paint at the centre and then slowly with a steady hand do the borders. As I am doing this on burlap which tends to have bits of fibres sticking out you have to be careful as you go. You can also get the borders right by using fine tip painting brush. There is one more variation if you don't have a steady hand, you can make a cross with masking tape. In the next tutorial I will show you how to do this step by step with masking tape. If you have any ideas to make it better you are always welcome to share it with us.


Red cross Burlap pillow


No comments:

Post a Comment